Belturbet Railway Station which opened in 1885 was built and operated by the Great Northern Railway Company of Ireland. The …station served as the connecting point for the Great Northern Railway broad gauge and the Cavan and Leitrim Railway narrow gauge railway lines and accommodated both railway companies until its closure in 1959. The station was built entirely of locally sourced stone and is reputed to be the only Grade 1 station constructed entirely of cut stone.
The station buildings lay derelict for almost 40 years until the Belturbet Community Development Association purchased the entire 10 acre site in 1995. The buildings had during that time served as farmyard buildings and had been subjected to the effects of weather, fire and theft. They were subsequently refurbished to the original state with great attention to detail gained by reference to original plans drawn on silk.
The original / restored Station Buildings include:
•Main Station Building and Station Master’s House
•Platform (Roof totally replaced)
•Great Northern Railway Goods Shed (Extension added to the original building. Attempts had been made to remove part of the original building for safety reasons prior to restoration)
•Cavan and Leitrim Railway Goods Shed (Effectively no restoration needed)
The Main Station Building contains a museum hosting an interesting collection of railway memorabilia and audiovisual footage of the Cavan and Leitrim railway and the restoration of the station itself.
The Great Northern Railway Goods Shed serves as a 120 person capacity conference hall and is used for business, social, sport, leisure and educational/training purposes.
Goods Store / Visitor Centre meeting & conference room facilities for rent. Halls are central to the town, heated and have kitchen facilities. Plenty of parking space. Cost for hire of Goods Store is 20euro first hour, 10euro per hour thereafter and the Visitors Centre is 15euro for first hour and 7.50euro thereafter. Block bookings can be negotiated
For booking enquiries contact us on 049 9522074 Or 087 689 4808 or 087 2639764