Blogs

Kerr, Stuart Engine

Kerr, Stuart Engine

 

4T was a 2-6-0T tank locomotive built in 1903 by Kerr, Stuart and Company (Stoke on Trent) for the Tralee and Dingle Light Railway. It was sent up to the Cavan and Leitrim Railway in 1941 and scrapped after the line closed in 1959

Advertisements

Hunslet Engine

Hunslet Engine

Hunslet Engine 3T in service from 1889 till 1959

1889 run on C&L

1939 sent to Inchicore Works

1941 back to C&L

1959 scrapped

 

 

5T Hunslet Engine Co. of 1892; 2-6-2 tank. Ex T&DR. In service till closure 1959.

survives. It went to America after the Cavan and Leitrim railway closed in 1959 but returned to it’s original railway, The Tralee and Dingle in the 1980s where it now rests in a shed in Blennerville. It was in use up until 2006

 

Hunslet engine 6T in service from 1898 till 1959

1898 run on C&L

1950 sent o Inchicore Works

1957 back to C&L

1959 scrapped

Neilson & Reid Engines

Neilson & Reid Engines

In 1933, after the closure of the Cork, Blackrock Passage Railway, the GSR transferred its four 2-4-2T locomotives to the C&L line, renumbering them 10L to 13L

2-4-2 represents the wheel arrangements of two leading wheels on one axle, four powered and coupled driving wheels on two axles, and two trailing wheels on one axle.

2-4-2 locomotives were tank locomotives designated 2-4-2T. The symmetrical wheel arrangement suits a tank locomotive that is used to work in either direction

 

10L Neilson, Reid & Co. No. 5561 of 1900; 2-4-2 tank. Ex CB&PR.

In service till closure 1959 & scrapped in same year.

11L Neilson, Reid & Co. No. 5562 of 1900; 2-4-2 tank. Ex CB&PR.

Scrapped 1939.

12L Neilson, Reid & Co. No. 5563 of 1900; 2-4-2 tank. Ex CB&PR.

In service till closure 1959 & scrapped in same year..

13L Neilson, Reid & Co. No. 5564 of 1900; 2-4-2 tank. Ex CB&PR.

Withdrawn 1954 & scrapped in same year.

Black & Hawthorn Engines

Black & Hawthorn Engines

Black, Hawthorn & Co. Made 3 Locomotives in 1887 for the Ballymena, Cushendall and Red Bay Railway which opened on 8 October 1876 to convey iron ore and later modified to carry passenger traffic: closed to all traffic in 1937. Three 0-4-2ST locomotives: Black Hawthorn: WN 301-3 of 1874. Running numbers 1-3. No. 3 as BNCR No. 103 withdrawn in 1911: other two, by then 101A and 102A, withdrawn in 1922, following their use on the Agrigna Vallery extension of the Cavan& Leitrim Railway where they proved very popular

101A Black, Hawthorn & Co. 0-4-2 tank. In service 1920-21

Scrapped 1922

102A Black, Hawthorn & Co. 0-4-2 tank. In service 1920-21 Scrapped 1922

Scrapped 1922

Robert Stephenson Engines

Robert Stephenson Engines

When the line opened, there were eight 4-4-OT locomotives, numbered 1 to 8, supplied by Robert Stephenson. A ninth locomotive, No 9,  06-4T came from the same supplier in 1904.

4-4-0 represents the arrangement of four leading wheels on two axles, usually in a leading bogie, four powered and coupled driving wheels on two axles, and no trailing wheels

No.1L was named “Isabel” after the daughter of R.H. Johnstone of Bawnboy House, the longest serving director of the C&LR. Built by Robert Stephenson & co in 1887 withdrawn in 1949. Status – Scrapped in 1949

 

No.2L was named “Kathleen” after one of the Directors’ daughters. Built by Robert Stephenson & co in 1887 withdrawn in 1959. Status – Preserved Ulster F&T Museum together with a C&LR coach

 

No.3L was named “Lady Edith” after one of the Directors’ daughters. Built by Robert Stephenson & co in 1887 withdrawn in 1959. Status – Preserved in USA at the New Jersey Museum of Transportation.  Currently in storage

 

No.4L was named “violet” after one of the Directors’ daughters. Built by Robert Stephenson & co in 1887 withdrawn in 1959. Status – Cut at Dromod for scrap in 1960

 

No.5L was named “Gertrude” after one of the Directors’ daughters. Built by Robert Stephenson & co in 1887 withdrawn in 1925. Status – Scrapped by GSR

 

No.6L was named “May” after one of the Directors’ daughters. Built by Robert Stephenson & co in 1887 withdrawn in 1927. Status – Scrapped by GSR

 

No.7L was named “Olive” after one of the Directors’ daughters.Built by Robert Stephenson & co in 1887 withdrawn in 1945. Status – sent to Inchicore in 1939 scrapped in1945

 

No.8L was named “Queen Victoria” lost her nameplates under, what were described as, ‘patriotic’ circumstances in 1923. The plates were eventually found and the C&L insisted they should be restoring to the locomotive, however within a few days they again disappeared, this time never to be found. Built by Robert Stephenson & co in 1887 withdrawn in 1959. Status – Cut at Ballinmore for scrap

 

No.9L King Edward – 0-6-4 type. Not liked and over weight. Built by Robert Stephenson & co in 1904 withdrawn in 1934. Status – Scrapped in 1934

 

7 of the 9 Stephenson engines were scrapped. 7 of the 9 Stephenson Locos were rebuilt with a larger boiler in 1902–1906 Rebuilt from 1930 with brick arch in firebox to burn hard Welsh coal instead of the soft product from Arigna’s mines.